Searching online has increasingly become a way for people to quickly find answers. Every time they have a question that needs to find relevant information, products or service, or a DIY cooking recipe, they will click Google and type in keywords. On the other way, Google is also delivering relevant ads to potential audiences based on people’s search behaviour. Therefore, marketers dedicate themselves to analysing data, selecting keywords and creating good Copywrite to reach and attract their target customers who may click the ads. However, Google tends to provide better customers and has constantly updated its advertising policies. Sometimes, Google Ads probably are disapproved because the advertising content is “illegal”.
The Latest Policies of Google Ads
1. Prohibited content: Inappropriate content, dangerous products or services, counterfeit goods and enabling dishonest behaviour
Examples: racial discrimination, cruelty to animals, explosive materials and fireworks, hacking software, and academic cheating services, etc.
2. Prohibited practices: Misrepresentation, Abusing the ad network, Data collection and use
Examples: collecting donations under false pretences, users’ information, promoting content that contains malware
3. Restricted content and features: Gambling and games, Financial services, Alcohol, Healthcare and medicines, Restricted ad formats and features, Political content.
Numerous immigration agents based in New Zealand and Australia were recently stopped from running Google ads. There is no fraud or cheating behaviour, and they have the official license certified by the New Zealand Immigration and Australia. So, what happened?
According to the New Government Services Policy (May 2020), ‘Google will no longer allow ads for documents and/or services that can be obtained directly from a government or a delegated provider.’ Promotions from authorised providers or resellers will be prohibited. Google demonstrates the documents include passports and other forms of national ID; proof of permanent residency; proof of immigration status/registration; travel documents like visas and Electronic Travel Authorisations (ETAs), etc. (Source: https://support.google.com/adspolicy/answer/9736337?hl=en)
Hence, the policy has a great negative influence on the immigration agency industry to run Google ads.
Consequences of violation and Solution
Disapproved Ads: The content may violate the policies of Google Ads and will be suspended.
Solution: You should figure out and determine whether the ads violate any policy. If you find them, you need to edit the ads and resubmit them. Or you can appeal the policy decision.
Google Ads account is suspended: Google may issue a warning if the content of your ads violates the policies or terms and conditions. This notification will be sent at least 7 days within your Google Ads account and email. If Google detects egregious violations, your Google Ads accounts will be suspended immediately without warning, and your Ads will no longer to allow to run.
Solution: If you disagree with the decision of Google, you can submit an appeal. Google will notify you of the result of the appeal via email after review.
How to run Google ads smoothly?
1. Study the Google ads policies carefully and check your ads contain violations or, such as fake goods, dangerous products, or discriminatory content mentioned above
2. Avoid “trick-to-click” text, for example, Google will flag the text “click here”. You can consider adopting “Buy now”.
3. Avoid long text, the headlines can be 30 characters and the descriptions of ads can be 90 characters. In addition, reduce the use of exclamation marks and words of the content are in all caps.
4. You cannot use “best product” or “first in business” that brag descriptions unless you were certified or rewarded by a third party. Consider adopting customers’ positive, genuine feedback.
5. To ensure that targeted pages work properly and do not contain any illegal content, Google checks ads and pays close attention to the quality of targeted pages at the same time.
To create a comfortable and safe online environment for users, Google will update its advertising policy non-scheduled. In addition to some broad terms and conditions updates, Google will also issue policies for specific regions and countries. Need to improve the quality of Google ads or be more effective in the running process? Please contact Webzilla’s digital marketing experts for professional help and customized solutions.
Disclaimer: The case stories in this article are only for basic explanation and analysis, not for any individual or industry group, for reference only. All similarities are coincidences